‧ Ph.D., Graduate Institute of Building and Planning, National Taiwan University
‧ Master, Graduate Institute of Building and Planning, National Taiwan University
‧ Bachelor of Philosophy, National Taiwan University
‧ Director, Campus Planning Office, National Taiwan University
（Feb. 2013 till current）
‧ Director, Graduate Institute of Building and Planning, National Taiwan University（Sept. 2011 to August 2014）
‧ Associate Professor, Graduate Institute of Building and Planning,
National Taiwan University（August 2011 till current）
‧ Assistant Professor, Graduate Institute of Building and Planning,
National Taiwan University（Sept. 2007 to July 2009）
‧ Founder, Research Center for Globalizing Cities, of Graduate Institute of Building and Planning National Taiwan University （Sept. 2008 till current）
‧ Assistant Professor, Architecture Department,
Ming Chuan University（Feb. 2003 till current）
- Research Performance Award, National Taiwan University (2010)
- Resource Person, East West Center, Honolulu, Hawaii (2005-2007)
- Fulbright Young Researcher Awards, (2000)
- Sustainable City Award, by His Honor The Mayor, Muangklang Municipality, Thailand, January, 2006.
- Director, Organization of Urban Reformers, OURs （都市改革組織理事長）
（March 2015 till current）
- Organizer of Taiwan Area, East Asia Inclusive City Network（2010till current）
- Board Member, Urban Planning Committee, Taipei City Government
（Jan. 2015 till current）
- Board Member, Vision Plan of Taipei City 2005, Taipei city government
（Sept. 2015 till current）
- Board Member, Urban Renewal Center, Taipei city government
（Oct. 2015 till current）
- Board Member, Community Empowerment Association
（July 2013 till current）
- Globalization and Development
- Urban Studies in Asia
- Community Building and Place Making
- Theories of Planning and Design
- Globalizing Cities in Asia
- Community Planning: Theory, Practices and Debates
- Research of Livable Cities
- Planning Theories
- Practicum of Planning and Design
- Special Issue on Social Housing
International Experience for Organizing Activities (2006-current)
- Organizer, “5th ICN Workshop in Taipei”, collaborated with Graduate Institute of Building and Planning, National Taiwan University, Executive Secretary, The Organization of Urban Re-s. Sep 23-25, 2015 at Taipei.
- Co-organizer, “International Conference on Citizens, Civil Society and the Cultural Politics of Heritage-Making in East and Southeast Asia”, collaborated with Institute of Sociology, Academia Sinica Taiwan (IOS), Institute of Southeast Asian Studies, Singapore (ISEAS), International Institute for Asian Studies, the Netherlands (IIAS), Department of Cultural Affairs, Taipei City Government. Dec 11-13, 2014 at Institute of Sociology, Academia Sinica.
- Organizer, “International Workshops on Asian Public Housing Policy in Taipei”, hosted by Department of Urban Development, Taipei City Government. Aug 15-16, 2013 at Taiwan Academy of Banking and Finance.
- Organizer, “12th International Congress Asian Planning Schools Association ”, hosted by National Taiwan University. Nov 1-2, 2013 at National Taiwan University.
- Organizer, “Constructive Contestation around Urban Heritage in Taipei: Exploring A New Approach for Cities in Asia” 2012 Taipei International Roundtable Forum, An international roundtable forum organized by the International Institute for Asian Studies (IIAS), Leiden, the Netherlands, the School of Liberal Arts and the Graduate Institute of Building and Planning, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan. Oct 7 to 10, 2012.
- Organizer, “11th International Congress: Planning for Sustainable Asian Cities”, hosted by The University of Tokyo. Sep 19-21, 2011 at The University of Tokyo.
- Organizer, “Towards the Inclusive City: The International Workshop for Building up the East Asian Inclusive City Network”, hosted by URP Taipei Sub-center, National Taiwan University in collaboration with Urban Research Plaza, Osaka City University. March 9th – 11th , 2011 at National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Organizer, “The Right to Adequate Housing and Social Inclusion”, International Conference on Social Housing in Taiwan, for Taiwan the second World Habitat Day. Taipei: International Conference Center of Taiwan National Taiwan University Hospital（2011.10.3-4）
- Collaborative organizer, ‘International Design Workshop on Preservation and Re-use of the former American Residence in Shan-Zai-Ho, Yang Ming Mountain Area.’ In collaboration with planning faculty and students from University of Washington, USA, National Taiwan University, Chung Yuan University, and Koashuing Normal University, Cheng Kong University. Sponsored by Organization of Urban Re-s (OURS). August 31-September 4, Shan-Zai-Ho, Taipei.
- Trainer, ‘The 38th Workshop for Livable Cities in Pacific Asia: Research Methods for Policy Analysis’, training planners from Vietnam and other Asian countries by lectures of Green Mapping, historical preservation and participatory planning. Globalization Research Center, University of Hawaii at Manoa & East-West Center, May 29 – June 28, 2007.
- Organizer, ‘When Global Meets Local: International Workshop on the Redevelopment and Preservation in the Shi-lin Area of Taipei’, collaborated with Marcia McNally and her team from Department of Landscape Architecture, University of Berkeley. Sponsored by the Bureau of Urban Development, Taipei City Government. June 8-9. Shi-lin Civic Hall. Taipei.
- 2015, ‘Rethinking Squatter Community’, Taiwan Bar Journal全國律師月刊Jan. 2015, pp. 18-27, Taiwan Law Association. （in Chinese）
- 2013, ‘Lost Juan Cu（眷村）in Taiwanese Cities’, Urbanism, Atlantis: Magazine by Polis/Platform for Urbanism #23.4, 2013 , by Urbanism, TU Delft. Pp. 41-44.（in English）
- 2012, ‘From public to private property: Fall of cities in urban renewal’, Cultural Studies, Vol.15, Special issue on Urban Renewal or Urban Battle, pp. 206-219. （in Chinese）
- 2011, ‘Urban Policies and Housing Problems in Taiwan: with a focus on Taipei city’ （台湾の住宅政策と住宅問題－台北市を中心として－.「居住福祉研究」, May, pp 43-58. 東信堂出版，日本居住福祉學會編）。（in Japanese）
- 2011, ‘From Cultural Building, Economic Revitalization to Local Partnership? The changing nature of community mobilization in Taiwan. International Planning Studies, June, 2011. Vol. 16. No. 2. （SSCI Journal）（in English）
- 2008, “Against the Monster of Privatisation: Qing-Tien Community’sActions for Urban Livability in Taipei” International Development PlanningReview, Vol. 30. p293-306. Nov/Dec., Liverpool University Press. （SSCI Journal
- 2007, “Globalizing the City in Southeast Asia: Utopia on the Urban Edge:the Case of Phu My Hung, Saigon”, collaborated with Mike Douglass. TheInternational Journal of Asia Pacific Studies. Vol. 3. No2. P.1-43. Publishedby Penerbit Universiti Sains Malaysia
- 2007, “Going Global: Householding and the Demographic Transition inTaiwan,” Philippine Studies, Vol. 55. No. 2. P.183-210. Ateneo de ManilaUniversity Press.
- 2006, “A World without Strangers? Taiwan’s New Households in the Nexusof China and Southeast Asia Relations”. International DevelopmentPlanning Review. Special Issue on “Global Householding in East andSoutheast Asia” , Vol.28 no.4 (2)Liverpool University Press （SSCI Journal）（in English）
- 2003, ‘Community Participation in Taipei’s Urban Planning in the 1990s: the Impacts of Globalization Process, Local politics and Neighborhood Response’. Journal of Geographical Science. Pp. 61-77. No.34, Dec. 2003. Taipei. (In Chinese)（TSSCI Journal）
- 2001, ‘Community Movement against Urban Renewal: The case of Kang-le Community in Taipei’, in Community Development Service: Challenges and Reflections. Community Development Resource Book 1999 & 2000, edited by: Community Development Resource Book Editorial Board, Community Development Division, Hong Kong Council of Social Service. Hong Kong : HKCSS, 2001. (in Chinese)
- 1999, ‘From Cultural Identity to Regional Governance: Challenges of the Post-quake Reconstruction of the Chi-Chi Earthquake to the Approach of Community Building in Taiwan,’ in Cities and Design, Vol. 9/10, 1999 Sept.＋ 2000 Feb. pp147-174. （in Chinese）
B. BOOK CHAPTER
- 1. Forthcoming, ‘Urban Governance and Energy Policy of Seoul City’, in Climate Change and Environmental Governance, edited by Jou Kwuei-tien, Taipei: Yuan-lieu Publisher. （in Chinese）
- 2016, ‘Urban Policies and Housing Problems in Taiwan’ , in Making Inclusive Cities, Osaka City: Law and Culture Publisher “台湾の住宅政策と住宅問題”, 包摂都市を構想する（仮）―東アジアにおける実践。 大阪市：法律文化社編集部. （in Japanese）
- 2016, “Policy Formation and Civil Society Engagement in Heritage-making in Taiwan: A Historical Examination,”( co-author : Min-Chin Chiang, Li-ling Huang, Shu-Mei Huang and Hsin-Huang Michael Hsiao), Edited by Hsin-Huang Michael Hsiao. （in English）
- 2015, ‘Community Planning in Taiwan: a perspective on institutional changes’ (in『開枝散葉 : 臺灣社區營造的捕夢網社區營造學會』). Taipei: Tan-sha Publisher. (ISBN 978-986-307-108-2)
- 2015, “Promoting private Interest by Public Hands? The gentrification of public lands by housing policy in Taipei City,” in Global Gentrifications: Uneven development and displacement. edited by Loretta Lees, Hyun Ban Shin and Ernesto Lopez-Morales. Policy Press. (ISBN: 978-1-44731-348-9) （in English）
- 2014, “The Uneasy Partnership and Contested Meanings of Urban Form: Examining the Policies of Urban Regeneration in Mankah ,” in Globalization and New Intra-urban Dynamics in Asian Cities. Edited by Natacha Aveline-Dubach, Sue-ching Jou, Hsin-Huang Michael Hsiao. Taipei, Taiwan: National Taiwan University Press. (ISBN: 978-986-350-021-6) （in English）
- 2011, “Housing policies, housing problems and housing movements in Taiwan. ” , in Ying-Feng Chen, Mizuuchi Toshio Wing-sing Tang, and Liling Huang (eds.) ‘Facing the Contemporary Cities: questions and methods’,pp.199-223. Shanghai: Shanghai Archive Press: Series of Modern Urban Society Research. (in Chinese)
- 2011, “Taipei’s Metropolitan Development: Dynamics of Cross Strait Political Economy, Globalization and National Identity”, ( co-author : Reginald, Yin-Wang Kwok), Planning Asian Cities: Risks and Resilience, London: Routledge. pp131-157. （in English）
- 2010, “Globalizing the City in Southeast Asia: Utopia on the Urban Edge – theCase of Phu My Hung, Saigon,” ( co-author Mike Douglass) in Ronan Paddison, Peter J.Marcotullio and Mike Douglass, eds., Connected Cities: Histories, Hinterlands, Hierarchies and Networks, Urban Studies, Economy, Volume III (Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage),287-319.
- 2009, “Foreign workers and spaces for community life: Taipei’s Little Philippines.” In Amrita Daniere and Mike Douglass (eds.) The Politics of Civic Space in Asia: Building Urban Communities. London: Routledge . pp51-71.
- 2008, “Taipei: Post Industrial Globalization”, In Gavin W. Jones and MikeDouglass (eds), The Rise of Mega-Urban Regions in Pacific Asia. NationalSingapore University Press. pp214-250.
- 2006, ‘Culture, Representation and Senses of Place: a preliminary framework for connecting spatial studies and cultural studies.’ In the Chinese Textbook for University. Fong-Chia University Press. Pp 243-271. Originally published in Cultural Studies in Taiwan, edited by Kuan Hsin-Chen. 1999, pp 27-70. Taipei: Yuan Liu Press. （in Chinese）
- 2005,“Urban Politics and Spatial Development: the Emergence of Participatory Planning in Taipei,” in R.Y Kwok ed. Globalizing Taipei, Pp.78-98. London: Routledge.
- 2005,’The Disappearing City: the hidden cultural layers of Taipei’, in the Invisible City of Taipei, pp 43-56. Edited by Sun-Chuan Huang, Taipei: The Bureau of Cultural Affairs, Taipei City Government.
- 2005, “Cross-cultural Analysis of Community Design in the Neighborhood: A Review and Outlook” (With Marcia McNally and Louise Mozingo.) in (Re) Constructing Communities: design participation in the face of change, edited by Jeffrey Hou, Mark Francis and Nathan Brightbill. Center for Design Research, University of California, Davis. Pp 310-319.
- 2005, “Participatory Design Process and Community Politics: the Case of Chi-Shan Community in Taipei.” (with Hsin-Jung Liu) In Democratic Design in the Pacific Rim 1999-Inited States, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Japan. Edited by Tameshuke Nagahashi, Sanae Sugita, Naoki Kimura. Japan: Tadasu Shobo.. Pp 84-97.
- 2002, “Challenges to NGOs in Forming New Partnership: A Dialogue of Case Studies in the U.S. and Taiwan,” (with Wen-ling Tu) in Building Cultural Diversity through Participation. (ed. By John Liu, Liling Huang and Yu-jane Cheng). Pp 250-271. Taipei: The Council for Cultural Affairs, Executive Yuan. (in both Chinese and English versions )
C. CONFERENCE PAPER
- 2015, ‘Training 1000 Community Planners in Taipei: Origin, Evolution and Prospect’, International Symposium on Progressive City： Making a Progressive City: Seoul’s Experience and Beyond by The Seoul Institute, Asia Research Institute of National University of Singapore and Korea. Oct 15.
- 2015, ‘From Heritage Preservation to Inner City Regeneration: the case of Bangka, Taipei’, The International Convention of Asia Scholars (ICAS) , The Asian Studies Association of Australia (ASAA). Adelaide, Australia. Jul 7. ( co-author Yuh-Chyi Huang）
- 2014, ’From Urban renewal to Urban regeneration: the case of Nan-chi-chanin Taipei, Oct. 1, 2014. The first networking conference of Taipei and Osaka: Memorial Hall of Takahara, Osaka City University.
- 2014, ‘Urban Governance and Energy Policy of Seoul City’, Risk Society and Policy Research Center, National Taiwan University. Social Science Building.
- 2013, ‘Globalization, social inequality and social exclusion: urban governance in Wan-hua District, Taipei’ pp. 166-168, 54-55, 110-111。The Third International Workshop on Constructing the East Asian Inclusive City Network. ( in Chinese, Korean and Japanese)
- 2012, ‘Housing policy and social transformation of Korea: a focus on Seoul City’, Associate Conference of Urban Planning Association, Housing Association and Regional Science Association. (co-author Eun-young Yu)
- 2012，’Housing production and social exclusion in Nan-chi-cha housing estate’ Associate Conference of Urban Planning Association, Housing Association and Regional Science Association. (co-author Hu Hao-wei)
- 2012, ‘Housing policy for vulnerable social groups: its progresses and barriers’ The 2nd East Asia Inclusive CITYNet Workshop. 2012.2.23-25, Organized by Osaka City University and Seoul City Government. Pp. 253-274. Co-author: Eric Shan-shu Chiang. ( in Chinese, Korean and Japanese)
- 2011, ‘Community Building in Taiwan: A perspective of social changes and institutional innovations.’, international workshop New Trend of Community Design and Governance in Asian Cities, University of Tokyo, Japan. Feb 23.
- 2011. ‘Cultural Practices, Urban Redevelopment and the Marginalized Urban Poor in Taipei’ in URP GCOE Document 9. International Symposium: Urban Regeneration through Cultural Creativity and Social Inclusion. Pp164-168. Osaka City University.
- 2011, ‘Community Building in Taiwan: A perspective of social changes and institutional innovations’, paper submitted for international workshop New Trend of Community Design and Governance in Asian Cities, Feb. 23, University of Tokyo, Japan.
- 2009，’The Changing Mode of Urban Planning and Governance in Taipei: Experiences from the Preservation of Di-hua Street and the System of Community Planner.’ The first Workshop for Development and Collaboration in Cities Across Strait’ hosted by Institute for Urban and Environmental Studies, The Chinese Academy of Social Sciences and Taiwan Institute of Economic Research. Beijing: Eastern Garden International Conference Center.
- 2009, ‘From Metropolis to Troubled Mega City Region: Taipei’s globalization and its obstacles of regional governance’, The 14th International University Seminar on Asian Mega Cities, GIS Convention Center, National Taiwan University. Taipei, Taiwan, March 13-14.
- 2008, ‘From Nation Building, Cultural Economy to Flanking Governmentality: The Changing Discourses of the Community Development Project in Taiwan after the 1990s’, paper presented in East Asia Regional Conference of Alternative Geography. Seoul: Seoul National University. Dec. 12-17.
- 2008, ‘Running into a Brave Old World? Urban Regeneration Strategies in Wang-hua, Taipei and Its New Challenge for Governance’ International Workshop on Building Participatory Governance for Urban Regeneration: East Asia Experience, Korean Research Institute of Human Settlement (KRIHS), May 8, 2008. Seoul, Korea.
- 2007, ‘Countering the Privatizing Urban Landscape: Community Actions for Preserving Japanese Houses as Civic Spaces in Taipei,’ International Congress of Asian Scholars, K.L., Malaysia, August 2-5.
- 2005, ‘Sunday in Hyper Space-Taipei’s Little Philippine’ ( co-author Mike Douglass). Paper presented in Dialogic Conference, Globalization and Civic Space: cities, Community Life and Public Sphere. 15-17 August, 2005. The Globalization Research Center and The East-West Center, The University of Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu, Hawaii
- 2005, “Utopia and Public Space in Saigon South, HCM City” ( co-authors: Nguyen Cam Duong Ly and Mike Douglass). Paper presented in Dialogic Conference, Globalization and Civic Space: cities, Community Life and Public Sphere. 15-17 August, 2005. The Globalization Research Center and The East-West Center, The University of Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu, Hawaii
- 2005, “Toward a city by citizens: the participatory approach of urban design in Taipei city’, paper presented for symposium.” The Urban Transition and the Future of City Life in Vietnam-the Question of Public and Civic Space.27-28 July, Melia Hotel, Hanoi, 2005
- 2005, “Toward a city by citizens: the participatory approach of urban design in Taipei city’, paper presented for symposium ‘The Urban Transition and the Future of City Life in Vietnam-the Question of Public and Civic Space.’ 2-3 August 2005, Palace Hotel, HCM City, Vietnam
- 2005, “Re-shuffling at a Global Scale: the Changing Model of Households in Taiwan.” Paper presented for the Globalization and Governance Project, Hokkaido University, Japan. Venue: Japan Society for the Promotion of Science, Tokyo. May 11-14, 2005.
- 2004, ‘Cross-cultural Analysis of Community Design in the Neighborhood: A Review and Outlook’ (Co-authors: Marcia McNally and and Tamesuke Nagahashi), Paper presented at the 5th Pacific Rim Conference for Participatory Design. Sept. 5-9, 2004.
- 2003, “From Exchange to Collaboration: Cross-cultural Learning of Participatory Planning in the Pacific Rim”, (Co-authors: Jeffrey Hou and Tamesuke Nagahashi), Paper presented for the 7th International Congress of Asian Planning School Association (APSA), Hanoi Vietnam, 2003. Sept. 12-14.
- 2003, “Global forces, Local Politics and Community Response: the case of participatory planning in Taipei.” Paper presented at East Asia Regional Conference (EARCAG), of International Critical Geography Group. Conference theme: Searching for Alternative Globalism from Below. Tokyo and Osaka, Japan, August 5-9, 2003.
- 2002, “The Production of Neighborhood Space: a Comparison of Taipei, Taiwan and Berkeley, California,” (with Marcia McNally), Paper presented at the 4th Pacific Rim Conference for Participatory Design. Dec 16-20th, 2002.
- 2002, “Parting from Leviathan: the emergence of participatory planning in Taipei in the 1990s,” paper presented for ‘the Sixth Annual Conference on the History and Culture of Taiwan,’ May 3-4, 2002. Main theme: Mapping a New Cultural Geography: Taipei, Hong Kong and Shanghai as Global Cities. Washington University in St. Louis, USA.
- 2011, Facing the Modern Cities: issues and methods, series books on Modern cities, Shang-hai Ancient Literature Publisher. （co-editors: Chen In-fang, Toshio Mizuuchi and Wen-shing Tang） （in Chinese）
- 2009, Flows and Sediments: Reader of Urban and Regional Studies. Taipei: The Taiwan Social Research Press. (in Chinese)
- 2007. Shi-lin Neighborhood Landscape Exchange, (co-author: Marcia McNally), Taipei City Government. GPN: 1009600738.
- 2002, co-editor and main translator of the Chinese Version of ‘Informational Age II: The Power of Identity’. By Manuel Castells. Cambridge, Mass: Blackwell, 1997. Taipei Ton-san Publisher.
- 2001, ‘Building Cultural Diversity Through Participation.(co-editor with John K.C. Liu and Yu-jane Cheng). Taipei: The Council for Cultural Affairs, Executive Yuan. (in both Chinese and English versions )
E. Professional Magazine
- 2014, ‘National plan, regional difference and challenges for community building ’. Taiwan Community Express. Ministry of Cultural Affairs.
- 2014, ‘Urban Regeneration in Taipei and Hong Kong’, Urban Dialogue: Taipei X Hong Kong. Exhibitions+Forums+Workshops+Screenings. Reflections. Volume2/Issue2/June 2014. Chinese University of Hong Kong.
- 2011, The New Horizon of Social Housing Policy and Social Transformation, published in New Social Policy Bi-monthly, Feb. 2011
- 2010,’Is Urban Renewal a Good Business’ in Taiwan Architect, 2010 Sept. No. 429. pp 93-97.
- 2009,’Making Sense of Social Justice and Urban Regeneration in Taipei’, Taiwan, A Radical Quarterly on Social Reserch. Vol. 76. 2009 Dec. pp 453-458.
- 2007， ‘Livable Cities and the Urban Development Across Strait’, in Beijing Planning Review. Beijing, China: Beijing Municipal Institute of City Planning and Design. Pp 21-24.
- 2007, ‘Toward a City for Citizens: Social Movement and the changes of urban values in Taipei in the late 1980s and early 1990s.’ in SPACE Magazine. No. 481. pp72-72. South Korea: Seoul. (In both English and Korean).
- 2004，’A Shift of Paradigm; the Participatory Planning and Historical Preservation of Taipei in the 1990s’, in Taiwan Architect, Special Issue on ‘Community．Architecture’ March, pp73-83. Taipei: the Union of Architects in Taiwan.
- 2003, Community Building in the Informal Settlements in Taiwan, (co-author Yoshihiro Doi ) in Architecture, Oct. Japan, Tokyo: the Union of Architects. Pp 52-53.